Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Ten on Tuesday -10 Ways to Beat the Winter Blahs.

Yummy yarn cakes
 
Today's topic hits home for me, as I am most definitely not a Winter person.  I need sunshine (lots of it) and warmth to perform at my optimum level.  Everything from laundry to paying bills is harder for me during those cold winter months.  The grey skies bum me out, the cold cuts through me and settles in my bones,  and everything becomes a chore.  Top of the list of winter peeves has got to be de-icing the windshield on the car before I can drive the offspring to school in the frigid vehicle.  But, when you have lovely hobbies like I do, here's how to combat that pervasive bleakness:
  1. Go to local yarn store with your non-knitting sister who has a great eye for yarn and loves you to knit her things
  2. Get a new hairstyle
  3. Knit something challenging and exciting that will keep you warm and get you noticed
  4. Use your crockpot.  There's something about the smell of good food cooking all day in your home that cozies things up nicely
  5. Treat yourself to a marathon of your favorite shows via netflix, on-demand, or TVo
  6. Spend a day going through your hobby stash(es) and dreaming about the possibilities
  7. Snuggle up in something warm and cozy, make lots of your favorite hot beverage, and curl up with a book you've been planning on reading for a long time but haven't made time for
  8. Go through your music collection and put on some forgotten favorites and crank them up
  9. Take a class for fun - art, hobby, new language, whatever has been pulling at you for a while
  10. Plan out a home  project for Spring
Of course, the most important way to beat the blahs is to cultivate a grateful heart.  Knitting every day helps...

4 comments:

  1. Crockpot - I keep meaning to get mine out now that it is truly winter, haven't done it though. And I love number 10, as that's definitely on our agenda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are you planning? We're going to try and do something with the backyard which has been sorely neglected since the kids moved on to high school.

      Delete
  2. I love going to the yarn store too. Oh the possibilities! It makes me smile just to think about it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. My sister takes me every year for my birthday. The nearest yarn store for us is a half-hour drive away, so it's not something I get to do that often. That's probably a good thing, though, from my wallet's perspective. Thanks for commenting

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I hope to see you here again soon. I'll visit you, too...