Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Hodgepodging on Wednesday...


1.  When were you last facing an ocean? Using just ONE word, describe how you felt as you faced that ocean.

The last time I faced an ocean was probably on our family vacation to Hawaii in 2008.  One word for how I felt: joyful.


2. What are three sounds you hate to hear?

Okay, I love my husband, but the first two sounds I hate to hear involve him.  He sneezes so loudly, it instantly enrages me when I hear it.  The kids feel the same.  We don't know why except that it is ear-splittingly loud and seems totally unnecessary.  I mean it sounds like he is screaming when he sneezes, even when we're in the car and the confined space makes it that much louder.  Makes my ears ring.  The other totally obnoxious noise we hear from him regularly: Snoring.  That man saws wood like you would not believe.  From the first moment I hear it begin to wind up, I am awake and mad.  It starts out faint, just the slightest change in his breathing, and then BAM it's full-blown, hear- it- from- the -next- neighborhood loud.  It's not unusual to hear the kids yelling from down the hall behind their closed bedroom doors for him to "STOP SNORING, DAD!!!"  The third sound I hate to hear is the smoke detector when I've burned something in the oven.

3. This question comes to you courtesy of some real life friends. Hi real life friends! When you shop for yourself, do you try everything on in the store before buying or do you buy, try on at home, and then return what you don't like or what doesn't fit?

I've done both over the years.  When I was younger I always tried things on.  Now if I'm pretty sure it will fit, I just bring it home.  If something looks like it might be a bit too big or small, or if the cut is not what I usually gravitate towards, I may try it on as long as I'm not in a hurry to get somewhere else.

4. February 26th is National Pistachio Day...are you a fan of the little green nut? Do you use them in cooking and baking or prefer to eat them right out of the shell?

I love those little green buggers, fresh out of the shell, please.  I have never used them to cook or bake with, and I don't generally like "pistachio flavored" anything, especially ice-cream.

  5. When did you last have to compromise with someone?  Were you happy to reach the compromise or slightly irritated it was necessary? 

Most of the compromises I make involve my children and while I'm usually happy that we can come to some arrangement that doesn't involve yelling, pouting, or sulking, I'm also usually irritated that they don't just do what I say in the first place, thus keeping me from yelling, pouting, and sulking. 

6.  Have you ever written a letter to an elected official? Did you get a response?

Yes, I've written several times to my elected officials.  I've always received a response, and it always just makes me angry or angrier as it has always been a blah-blah form letter thanking me for my opinion which they don't agree with and thus will be ignoring.  Politely worded, of course, and just dripping with condescension.

7. We 'March' into a new month at the end of this week...what's something on your March calendar guaranteed to make you smile?

My youngest rolls from basketball into the swim season this week, and the first swim meets begin in March.  I can't wait. 

8.  Insert your own random thought here. 

Oh, I had a good one earlier this week, but I've forgotten it...My gaze has just lighted on a pile of knitting WIPs that need to be finished, so that is my random thought for today, "Finish this pile, already."

Now I invite you to follow the link on the left sidebar and join the Hodgepodge.

6 comments:

  1. Best of luck to your kid in the swim meet! I loved swimming as a kid but i didn't join the swim team, very competitive! I know Timmy looks real different and kinda nerdy (lol), hopefully he'll be able to pitch better somehow..
    I am not the biggest fan of pistachios but i do find pistachio flavored anything gross. Though they do taste good when you mix em with mini chocolate peanut butter cups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #5 Amen to that! My 'kids' are 21,23,24 and there can still be pouting involved. Ha.

    Oh my gosh your random thought made me laugh! I can't tell you how many times when I think... oh I can blog about that and then promptly forget everything when I sit down to do so! Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice visiting you today. I clicked over from the Hodgepodge, I like the name of your blog! Enjoyed reading your answers.
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband has a whistle that absolutely kills my ears. It's great when you need to get someone's attention in a crowded place like a stadium, but not so great when you're standing a foot away.

    Glad you joined in today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I can't stand snoring either...especially when I am trying to sleep ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my goodness. We used to have a neighbor who sneezed like that. We used to laugh every time he did it because if you were outside you could seriously hear him from like a block away! Loved your completely honest answer to #5. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I hope to see you here again soon. I'll visit you, too...