Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge from California

1. When were you last 'on a mountaintop'?  You may answer in the literal or figurative sense.

Literally would have to be on our annual camping trip to Yosemite Valley.  A group of families  from our childrens' elementary and middle-school get together every Labor Day weekend to camp by the river there.  We started it when my youngest was in 7th grade as a way for the families and children (who've been together since they were in Kindergarten) to stay connected with each other as many of the kids would be attending different high schools and thus would be apart for the first time in their academic careers.  We have grown so close as a community over the years, they are my extended family, so in a certain sense it feels like a big ole family reunion.  We love it, the kids love it.  We even see bears up close and personal.  Well, not close enough to terrify, but definitely close enough to thrill...

2.  Do you establish and maintain a strict budget in your household?  What is one piece of financial advice you would offer someone just starting out on their own?

I am in charge of the budget creation around here, but I confess that I don't do a bang-up job in keeping the family within its limits.  Often, it ends up being a "suggestion" rather than a budget.  It's great for keeping us aware of where we're overspending though, so we do implement changes from time to time that keep us more fiscally responsible.  The piece of financial advice I would offer is, "Stay away from credit cards."

3.  Cherries-yay or nay?  Cherry pie, cherry cola, black forest cake, or a scoop of Ben and Jerry's Cherries Garcia...pick one.

Cherries, definitely yay.  In fact, they are my favorite fruit.  Every year, we take a cherry-picking trip with the kiddos and pick to our hearts content.  I love them for that reason too, the family tradition that they have inspired.  I would have to pick cherry pie from the above list.

4.  Should you ever discuss religion or politics with people you don't know?

I would definitely not lead with either topic with people I don't know.  They are both so complex and emotion-riddled, I think the chance of miscommunication or misunderstanding is just too big a risk to make it wise to introduce either subject with people you don't know.

5.  When you take a road trip do you prefer to be the driver or the passenger?  Where were you headed on your last road trip?

I'd prefer to be the passenger without a doubt.  I love the freedom to look out the window of the car and daydream or do double-takes (can't do that when you're driving.)  And there's always the chance to sleep from time to time.  Our last road trip was last Fall when we made the trip I referred to in question number one, the lovely and majestic Yosemite National Park in California. 

6. If we peeked inside your closet, what color would we say is most prevalent? 

Perhaps black, but not by very much.  I love color, so my closet has a riot of color in it, especially jewel-tones and earth tones.  There's a fair amount of black as well, just because it goes so well with all the others and is suitable for so many important occasions, when a bit of subdued fashion is in order.  I am a knitter, so my closet also contains a large portion of my yarn "stash" which, again, abounds in color.

7. Who's your favorite senior citizen and why are they special?

I can't pick just one, since both of my parents qualify.  As to why they're special, I haven't the words to begin to describe their loveliness.  Let's just say, if I only measured up to be a fraction of the fine human beings they both are, I would die happy.

8.  Insert your own random thought here. 

Why is this one always the hardest?  Goodness knows there's a lot of random in my head at any given time.  Here goes: I'm listening to the pounding, steady rain on the roof from  the cozy comfort of my kitchen table and both lamenting the cold, grey sky and rejoicing that my garden is getting a good soaking, especially the orange tree...

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by. its nice to have fellow bay area people also doing the HP. I also have been to Yosemite many times, however i prefer to stay in the lodge but that's much more expensive than camping so i let my family go without me. Go Giants! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I hope to see you here again soon. I'll visit you, too...