Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge - My Debut Post

Thanks to Joyce for hosting this fun series.  Now, here goes.

1.  This week marks the beginning of Lent...will you be giving something up or adding anything to your life during this season of the year?

Yes and yes.  I will be giving up coffee/mochas as I do every year.  This is truly a sacrifice for me that requires a great act of will.  It may seem small to others, but this is so much a part of my routine that it is extremely difficult for me, thus very meaningful.  I will be adding more time in Scripture and devotions.  Our family is also going to be taking part in a parish effort this year called "Small Christian Communities" to journey together spiritually with a small group building faith and community ties at the same time. 

 2. The day before Lent is Shrove Tuesday... tradition states you eat pancakes on this day. In some parts of the world Shrove Tuesday is actually known as 'pancake day'. How do you like your pancakes? Or don't you?

 I prefer potato pancakes or latkes.  Sourcream, yes.  Applesauce, a little.  Lots of salt. 

3.  I'm sure there are many, but what's one love song you really love?

I've always thought the lyrics to "Bargain" by the Who were pretty intense.

 4.  What are some things you do to let others know you love them?

I tell them all the time.  Also, hugs and kisses are a staple around here.  I'm pretty sure my kids know from all the ways I take care of things for them, and listen to what they have to say.  My kids are athletes, so I'm always there in the stands, taking pictures and cheering for them.   I know this makes them feel loved and special.

 5.  Roses...red, pink, or do you prefer another color? Can you recall the last time someone gave you flowers? Given your choice would you like to open the door and see a dozen red roses, a dozen purple tulips, or a dozen pink peonies?

Roses - pink.  The last time I received flowers was from friends when I was battling breast cancer.  They truly were cherished, because I knew that prayers and love abounded.  As to flower delivery, I think I'd prefer the dozen pink peonies.  Peonies are fabulous.  Roses have never been my thing, but they remind me of my mother, so I am fond of them for that reason. 

 6.  President's Day will be celebrated in America next Monday. Does US Presidential history and trivia interest you?  Many Presidential homes are open to the public and offer guided tours...Monticello (Jefferson's home), Mount Vernon (Washington's home), Montpelier (James Madison's home), Hyde Park (FD Roosevelt's home) and The White House (home to the sitting President) to name just a few. Of those listed which would you be most interested in touring?  Why?

Some US Presidential history fascinates me.  Particularly regarding Abraham Lincoln, whom I esteem highly.  I think he was a wonderful and remarkable man, and the tragedy of his life tugs at me as though I knew him personally.  I think he was a man of deep faith and compassion, and to see the way that grief etched his face as his presidency unfolded hurts my heart.  Of the presidential homes, I'd probably like to visit Mount Vernon the most, as George Washington is my second favorite president.

 7.  Are you good at keeping secrets?
Yes, when they are important.  Trivial secrets, I may spill the beans.  I can't keep surprises secret very well.  But if we're talking secrets that involve deep confidences, I keep them in my heart and prayers but don't divulge to anyone.  There are secrets I've been keeping for decades.

 8.  Insert your own random thought here. 

Wow, where to start?  Well, how about this...My youngest tugged on my heartstrings the other day as we were strolling thru the mall with his dad in search of  basketball gear.  His gaze followed a very young child walking with his mother.  Wistfully, he said, "I wish I was still little like that.  Everything is fun all the time and you don't have to worry about anything."  Indeed.

3 comments:

  1. Love pink roses! Your random thought put a lump in my throat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a first time visitor from the Hodgepodge, but I've bookmarked you to come visit again. Congratulations on being a survivor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet comment from your youngest. They do grow up fast! And, believe it or not, I miss those bleacher days. Sports are good for kids. Hope your Wednesday was a great one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I hope to see you here again soon. I'll visit you, too...