Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Easter Is Soon Upon Us!!!

Thanks again to Joyce for coming up with this week's Hodgepodge questions.  Now, here goes: (Am I eager, or what?) 

1. What are your plans for Easter? Are you cooking a big lunch or dinner?  Dyeing eggs? Attending a sun rise service?  Eating too much chocolate?

We have a big event planned for Easter this year:  the husband will be baptized!  At the beautiful Easter Vigil Mass, which though extremely long is also extremely beautiful.  It will be so emotional for me this year seeing him receive the sacraments.  This has been a longing of my heart for almost twenty years.  

As for the meal, we will be having Easter dinner at my brother's.  Some of you will recall that our St. Paddy's day dinner was cancelled due to illness.  Well, we are going to have a corned beef and cabbage Easter dinner as a make-up.  Untraditional?  Maybe.  But that's the way we roll.

Easter egg dyeing?  You betcha.  Attending a sun rise service?  No, but we will be attending a late night Mass.  Mass begins when darkness has well and truly fallen.  The church will be dark.  The parishioners will gather outside in the total darkness.  Then, the Paschal candle will be lit and the readings I love the most, " I am the Alpha and the Omega..." will be proclaimed.  We will light our candles and enter the church, singing hymns of rejoicing.  More readings and the lights will be illuminated and the whole church will be bright and we will sing with gladness to the Lord.  There will be baptisms, there will be First Holy Communion for the Elect, there will be joy, joy, joy and thanksgiving. 

Eating of too much chocolate?  Is there even such a thing?  If there is, it will be done at our house on Sunday.

 2.  What is something you feel too young to do?

I feel too young to subscribe to Senior Living magazine.

3.  "Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud...it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs..."  

Of the characteristics mentioned in the biblical definition of love which do you find most difficult to live out and why?

Truthfully, I find each of them difficult at various times and with various people.  It really depends on the situation I am in that is testing my love.   My personal circumstances, my mood, whether I got enough sleep the night before.   All these things pose their challenge to acting with love, but I try to be conscious of the call to love at all times and respond accordingly.  Often, a quick prayer of "Lord help me love this person" does the trick.

4. What's a springtime flower you associate with your childhood?

My earliest childhood years were spent growing up in Hawaii, so I would have to say Plumeria.  I remember stringing leis of Plumeria with my mother and breathing in their lovely perfume.  The yellow are the ones I most remember, although they come in several other colors.

5.  Ever sung karaoke? If so, what's your go-to song? If not and you're given the opportunity, would you?

Never have sung karaoke, so don't have a go-to song.  I would probably do it if I got the opportunity, if enough alcohol was involved.

6. What is something you keep in a basket?

I keep some of my yarn in a basket.  I like to look at it and have it within reach at all times.  It's so pretty and I am the lady that is always knitting, so...

7.  When was the last time you felt foolish?

I can't remember the exact time, but this is not a rare occurrence for me, sadly.

8.  Insert your own random thought here. 

I have a near phobia of closed doors.  I prefer to keep all our doors in the house open and I am always a bit apprehensive when I enter a new place and am confronted with a closed door.  Not knowing what lies beyond and what I may be interrupting if I open it makes me feel very self-conscious and uncomfortable.

Have a blessed Easter, everyone...

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely Easter and one I'm sure you will remember!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning I couldn't find the car keys. So I knew my husband had them last and decided to look in the door. Well, there they were right in the keyhole, all night long! I'm glad I can laugh about it now but before I would be fuming mad. I don't know if that counts as a closed door;)
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I had got up in the middle of the night to go to the restroom so then i went to the list via my ipod and put my name in. I did the entry last night.
    Anyway I know what you mean about phobias, i actually prefer the doors shut. I worry my animals would escape or intruders would waltz right in. Though we do live in a safe neighborhood, more safe than the house i grew up in. I do prefer having the blinds and drapes shut at night time. My parents thought it was odd when i was young, i was only doing that so people don't see me changing or creepers just stare in the window. It did used to be worse when i'd shut the blinds at other people's houses. I was also afraid of the dark growing up, i think it happened after my grandmother died when i was 8.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am now following you. Did you know your comments are no-reply. So nice to meet you and thank you for stopping over. That is beautiful news on your husband being baptized. Growing up in Hawaii sounds awesome. Yes I would want alcohol too with the karaoke! That is interesting about the closed doors.
    Happy Easter to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your #2 made me laugh! And oh, when I visited Hawaii for the first time last year I absolutely fell in love with the Plumeria! GORGEOUS!!! Have a blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I hope to see you here again soon. I'll visit you, too...