Wednesday, April 10, 2013

April in Paris Sure Would Be Nice

1. Share one fun thing you did last week, while the Hodgepodge was on 'spring break'.

Attended youngest son's high school swim meet.  His team was facing two other teams this time, both of which are Goliaths, and the results were as anticipated: both other teams crushed ours.  He did manage to eke out a few points for the team and shave major seconds off his 100 butterfly, so there was some balm to the wound.


 2.  April 10th is National Sibling Day...do you have siblings, and if so are you close? Share a favorite story featuring one or all of your siblings. If you don't have siblings, did you ever wish you did?

I have three siblings: two older brothers and a younger sister.  We are a close family in that we love each other, pray for each other, support each other, and would gladly lay down our lives for each other.  We have never held grudges or resentments or any of that sort of bitterness that plagues many families.  Sibling rivalry was pretty much non-existent growing up, although my sister and I did go at it a few times.  My brothers are roughly 18 months apart, and I can remember a couple of times when horseplay took an ugly turn, but never anything that caused lasting harm.  We still have each others' backs, as they say.  I don't have a particular story to tell about them, but I do fondly remember often walking with my mom, who was pulling a wagon in which my sister rode, to the local high school to watch my two older brothers play baseball; I remember one time in particular when my sister, who was probably 5 at the time, "caught" a foul ball with the side of her face.  That was a scary moment.

3. Is it important to you to 'buy American'? Why or why not? How much of an effort do you make to 'buy American'? If you're not American, insert your own country in the blank.

If I have the option of buying American, and the quality of the product is equal to or better than that of an import, I will always chose that option.   However, I will not buy a crappy product just because it was made in America.  Since the bailout, there are several American car companies that I will not buy from on general principal.  With the whole global supply chain being so complex these days, I'm not sure it is possible to buy a product wholly produced in the U.S. anymore.  Always seems as though some portion of all products is sourced from another country, so I don't spend too much time or energy worrying about ensuring I buy American.

4. Besides The Bible, what book has impacted your spirituality in some way?

I can't remember the name of the book, I think it was something like "God's Promises" by Grace Copeland?? 

5. April showers bring May flowers or so the saying goes.  Do you find rainy days calming or depressing?  When were you last caught in a rainstorm? What's blooming in your neck of the woods today?

Rainy days and I have a love/hate thing going as I age.  I enjoy a good downpour every now and then, and love the impressive thunder storms in Florida and Hawaii.  There is something delightful in being drenched with warm rain rather than frigid rain.  However.  When the rain is drizzly and gray skies just won't let up for days, then I have a problem with my friend the rain.  And as my roof ages, I am less enamored of rain in general due to the nagging thought that this could be the day when we spring a leak.  The last rainstorm I was caught in was the summer before last when we took the family on a vacation to Disney World.  Our last day there, which we spent at Animal Kingdom, was pretty much over by 11 AM due to torrential rain. 

There are lots of plants in bloom around these parts.  Princess lilies, ranunculus, geraniums, lilacs, bacopa, to name a few.  Want to see some?


And also this pretty little weed, which I find strangely appealing:
The foothills are covered with them, carpets of bright yellow.  They make me happy.
 

6. What's your favorite yellow food?

Poached eggs with runny yolks on toast.

7. April is National Poetry Month...what's a poem that holds special meaning for you, and why is it special?

Randall Jarrell's "Death of a Ball Turret Gunner" has always stood out in my mind, from the first time I encountered it in a high school English class.  The grisly imagery of the last line is so powerful and sobering, it serves to encapsulate the horror of war in a way I've never seen equaled.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Spent a couple of hours on YouTube yesterday watching Randy Newman, Mark Knopfler, and Colin Hay videos.   Several of the songs still move me to tears, no matter how often I hear them.

8 comments:

  1. Those flowers are beautiful. I especially like the yellow "weeds" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the Florida lighting storms are really something. My dad lives there and I have seen some amazing storms. I was lucky enough to spend a week in Paris two years ago. It was June and it was amazing! Yum....I love runny yolks...great answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too had a foul ball go off the side of my head, when my dad played softball. OUCH! :( Anyway such pretty flowers, another thing i love about spring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this...such pretty flowers. I keep reading other peoples yellow food ideas and thinking, that's it! haha. But seriously, I love my eggs just the same way. Hope you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you get the same reaction we do when we say we wouldn't take a car from certain manufacturers if they GAVE it to us because they accepted bailout money? People seem to think we're crazy. Love Mark Knopfler. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, we're squarely in the "crazy" camp. And I'm fine with that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ranunculas are one of my favorites. You're lucky to have so much blooming. Still very wintry looking here. I was in DC for two days and the cherry blossoms were at their peak. So gorgeous! Drove home today in the pouring rain, but it was lovely to get a glimpse of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must be so proud of your son - swimming is a great sport! sandie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I hope to see you here again soon. I'll visit you, too...