Wednesday, May 8, 2013

May Day, or Rather, M'Aidez...Aidez-moi

Folks, these past couple of weeks have been hard on my heart.  Seems like one national tragedy after another and personal suffering hard on the heels of that...The blog has been neglected while I turned instead to deeper prayer and comfort knitting.  Light is beginning to dawn, but so much sadness still persists.  That is why I am grateful to turn once again to Joyce's Hodgepodge (link at left) for a welcome change of pace and return to the digital world...Here goes nothing:

 
1. When the children of today grow up, what do you think they'll say about this period in time?  What do you most hope they remember?

I think they'll remember the birth of social media and how technology advanced so quickly.  What I most hope they remember is the family interaction, love, and constant sense of safety that we tried to give them.  I hope they look back on their childhood and think, "Those were such happy times."

2. National Teacher's Day is celebrated in the US of A on the first Tuesday in May, this year May 7th...share how a particular teacher positively influenced you.

I had a series of wonderful teachers in grade school.  I think each of them influenced me in some way, and all made school a place I wanted to be. 

3. What's a dish your mama made, that if set in front of you today would whisk you right back to childhood?

This would probably have to be a Polish dish she used to make very rarely as a special treat.  We called it "Kliniki" but I'm not sure what the actual name was.  It's also possible that it was a Hungarian dish rather than Polish, but we're not really sure.  At any rate, it was an old family recipe handed down from generation to generation.  It was made from cabbage and contained bacon and these light, fluffy dumplings cut into small pieces and mixed in.  Delightful.

4.  Mother May I was a game we played when I was growing up...no pieces, parts, or plugs required.  What games from childhood do you remember loving that were also pieces, parts, and plug free?

The two that immediately spring to mind are "Simon Says" and "Red light/Green light".  And of course there were the endless permutations of freeze tag and such.  Most of my childhood was spent out of doors playing with the neighbor kids.  Happy times.

5. Besides your own mother, tell us about a woman who influenced you as a child.

I used to spend a lot of time at the neighbor's house across the street from us.  They had a bunch of kids, and there was always a great deal of activity there.  They were a Hawaiian family, and we had just moved from Hawaii ourselves, so I think that added to the joy of hanging out with them.  We had a lot in common on all fronts.  Anyhoo, their mother taught me how to sew and do embroidery.  She was also very lively and talkative.  I was influenced by her zest for life and how she was always in the center of things and how much she enjoyed her kids.

6. Mamma Mia!  What's the best play or musical you've ever seen?

I'm not a huge theater goer, so the pickin's are pretty slim.  I don't think I've ever seen a live professional theater performance.  It's always been strictly amateur theater for me.  The best play I've ever seen would probably be a performance of "The Gin Game" at the local theater house.  It was honestly fantastic, and the venue is really part of the experience there.  It's a truly lovely place.  As for musicals, the best one of those would have to be the performance of "The Pied Piper" starring my oldest son as the Pied Piper.  He was in 7th grade and we had no idea that the boy could sing.  He had several solos and he was awesome.  I was so proud of him.  His stage presence was mesmerizing.  But I'm not biased or anything...

7. What are three smells that make you feel nostalgic?

The smell of "Heaven Scent" fragrance.  Ditto "Windsong".  The smell of original "Coppertone" sunblock (of course, we used to call it "suntan lotion" back in the day.)

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I've been dipping my toe into new waters with regard to prayer of late.  I have wanted for some time to pray the Liturgy of the Hours, but it was always too confusing and overwhelming.  I didn't know where to start.  Enter a lovely blog "Coffee and Canticles" whose author recently published a guide to praying the LOTH for lay Catholics.  I downloaded it to my kindle, and have begun to read it.  I'm taking it slowly.  Going to read the whole thing first, then figure out how to work this wonderful form of prayer into my daily life.  We have a parish nearby that offers Lauds and Vespers.  I'd like to start attending.  We'll see.  Best laid plans and all that.  In the meantime, there is something about the Divine Office that is calling to me. 

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love the scent of Coppertone sun lotion! I'll admit that when we were stationed in Mississippi and in Idaho, landlocked and away from the beach, I would open the bottle and take a whiff... made me look forward to summer and remember the California beaches! Good one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could I have forgotten the smell of suntan lotion???
    Thanks for the tip on the blog. I'm going to check it out. I've never prayed the Liturgy of the Hours. There are so many things in our faith to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, the smell of Coppertone! I used to love the oil one. I forgot about Red Light, Green Light- love that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree it's easy to become overwhelmed by this world sometimes. I feel less heavy when I've prayed as well.

    I never liked cabbage as a kid, but I love it now : ) Happy Knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. IM saying a little prayer for you now. Your heart will heal!

    We played MOTHER MAY I!!!! I had forgotten this fun outdoor game with neighbors

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I hope to see you here again soon. I'll visit you, too...