Wednesday, May 29, 2013

With Cockel Shells and Silver Bells

 
I've been conspicuously absent from the blog and unable to participate in the Hodgepodge, and how I've missed it.  Thanks to Joyce for this week's list of questions to get me back in the game.  Please join the fun by following the link in the left side bar, if you're new to it.  Now, let's get to it:

 1. What question do you often ask yourself?

I don't think I ask a specific question, but I do spend a reasonable amount of time examining how I can better serve and love the Lord and how I can use my gifts to glorify him.  I also ask myself how I can cast out fear so that I can follow Him and allow His will to be done in my life NO MATTER WHAT THE COST or the scary/uncomfortable places He may take me.  

 2. Do you grow roses? What's your favorite color of rose?  Ever been given a dozen roses?  Where was the prettiest rose or rose garden you remember seeing?


Yes, I grow several types of roses, but climbers are my favorite.  They do, however, now represent significant risk to my health due to the potential for pricks/punctures which can lead to infection and lymphedema due to my lack of lymph nodes.  I thus tread warily around them, but refuse to allow my husband to rip them all out, which is his response to the risk.  I don't have a favorite color of rose, I simply love so many colors, but I do find myself drawn to varieties that have variegated colors in the orange/salmon range.  My husband has given me a dozen roses on several occasions.  I can't think of a particular rose or garden that I felt was the prettiest.  I tend to admire all beautiful gardens.

 3. Do you read the freshness dates on grocery store products?  Will you use eggs past their 'use by' date?  Take medication that's expired? Buy a dented can?

Yes, I'm a label reader.  I check for expiry dates, non-synthetic ingredients, and absence of growth hormones, etc. in everything I buy that I or my family will ingest.  I don't buy any products past their expiry dates, but I will take an occasional med that has expired, if it's within several months of the expiration.  We're not big on meds in this family, so that is usually rare.  I will not buy dented cans.

 4. Should athletes be role models?

Absolutely.  But then, I am a firm believer in the worth and dignity of the human person, every human person, and believe that we should all be role models for one another all the time.

 5. Edmund Hillary of New Zealand and Tenzing Norgay of Nepal became the first explorers to reach the top of Mt. Everest on this date (May 29) back in 1953. What's something you hope to achieve in your lifetime?

I have no worldly ambitions.  The only thing I aspire to is holiness so that I might spend eternity contemplating the face of God.  I'm not even close to this at the moment, in case you're wondering how I'm doing with that goal...But while there's life, there's hope.

 6. What would you do if you had twenty acres of land and the money to develop it any way you choose?

I'd probably put aside a portion to build a fine home and private garden on, and use the rest for a public park/garden.

 7. If I invite you to a party with a 7 PM start time, what time will I actually see you there?

By 7:15.  

 8.  Insert your own random thought here. 

I haven't had the amount of time I would like for knitting lately, and I'm really missing it.  I'm lucky to knit a few rows on the current sock and mom's sweater, and I'm dying to design something new and start a couple of other projects.  Serious start-itis is developing and yet I still have a stack of finishing to do....

8 comments:

  1. Your roses are beautiful! Hopefully someone else can tend to them, and you can just enjoy. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your answer for #1 and amen to #5. Happy Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous roses!! And I second the Amen on #5!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have done some knitting but not the real kind of knitting, i use the starter kit i have. Though i have made pretty good scarves and childrens hats with it. My niece and nephew loved wearing what i made them when they were little. I like your roses too! What happened was i wrote my entry last night then got up in the middle of the night & used my iphone blogger app to put in my link. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy knitting so much and love challenging myself. I'm sure you'll find time soon! Double amen to your #5. I enjoyed your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. VERy fun to read the questions and responses. My question to myself: How can I do the good God has me on this Earth for?

    and I'd love acres of golden retrievers and shetland ponies on my land!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay girl - you and I have most of the same answers! Kindred spirits here. I would love if you followed me. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh I joined your blog and forgot to answer or comment - dah. I guess it is because we are so much the same. I am a 7:15 person too. Hope you follow mine too. Love, sandie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I hope to see you here again soon. I'll visit you, too...