Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Horseshoes and Hand Grenades

Remember that old saying?  Close only counts with horseshoes and hand grenades?  Or something to that effect.  It's the first thing that came into my head when I was looking for a title to go with today's posting for "Ten on Tuesday" at Carole Knits.  The reason?  Well, today's topic is:

Ten Favorite Backyard Games.  Let's get cracking, shall we?



1.  Horseshoes.  You knew that one was coming, right?

2.  Badminton.  This reminds me of my middle son, who loves to play it and has a wicked smash which he is not afraid to use with malice aforethought.

3.  Whiffle ball -- my personal favorite, as it reminds me of when our boys were small and we used to take them to the local park or our backyard and teach them to play baseball using whiffle balls.  Also, whiffle balls were a big part of the training equipment every season even through high school.  Many coaches use the whiffle ball drill to work on developing batting skills.

4.  Volleyball.  I can't play this any more due to the lymphedema thing I have going on, but I still fondly recall playing it, especially during company picnics and such.

5.  Slip-n-slide.  When we were kids, my sister and I had a ball with the kids across the street every summer on their front lawn with this device.  When we had kids of our own, the slip-n-slide became a summer time feature of our own backyard.

6.  Croquet -- when we were growing up in Hawaii, we had the perfect backyard for this game.  My family played it constantly, even though my oldest brother became so good at it that it was no longer a contest when we played him.  In fact, it got to the point where everyone hated to play it because he would call "poison" and drive our balls to Timbuktu and go on to smugly win Every. Single. Time.

7.  Bocce ball.  We bring a set and play this at Yosemite every year, as well.  Last year's tournament was particularly enjoyable.  Women against the men, and the women totally dominated.  I love it when that happens.

8.  Frisbee.  It always took me a while to get the hang of this game.  Each time I played, it was like I was playing for the first time. 

9.  If you have a pool, Marco Polo is a classic.

10.  Blind man's bluff.  The beauty of this one is that no equipment is necessary. 

I have to admit, as I get older, my enjoyment comes more from sitting in a lawn chair, sipping a cold beverage and knitting as I watch the young'uns play these games than in actually playing any of them myself, with the exception of bocce ball...

1 comment:

  1. ahhh...! sitting sipping and knitting. that is my speed too! BUT in the spirit of the game ;) i totally forgot about marco polo though my kids play it often to my husband's chagrin as one of the neighbor kids' name sounds very close to polo and he's afraid the neighbors will think we're making fun of them. lol about croquet - i totally get it! as for slipnslide... :/ i wanted one of those thigns so bad! and we finally got one and the thing was about as slippery as rubber on rubber :/ lol. enjoyed reading your list :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I hope to see you here again soon. I'll visit you, too...