Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Wanna Knit a Sweater With Me? No, Really. Do You?



So, I was thinking that it might be fun for any interested knitters who stumble across this little blog to join me in knitting the sweater I am designing and knitting for my mom.  I haven't got that far along yet, so it's still possible to catch up and "knit along" with me.  Here're the details:

V-neck cardigan style -perfect sweater for the knitter who hasn't yet dipped their toe, so to speak, into knitting a full-on garment.   This is a basic modified drop shoulder (so no full fashioned decreases), requiring little to no shaping, knit in a K1, P2 stitch pattern at a worsted weight gauge. 

Button band is incorporated into the garment while knitting, and I'm designing the whole shebang "on the fly" so there may be some bumps in the road, but if you're interested in the adventure, I will be posting the instructions here on the blog.

 My reason for doing this is twofold:  I thought it would be fun, and this way I won't do the usual and create the sweater with only minimal cryptic notes and then try to figure out what the heck I did and write it all down.  This way, the pattern will be complete at the same time as the sweater, and I can then offer it on the Ravelry site for free.  And it will also have been test knit by real life knitters, so should be error free, right? 

The size I am knitting is for a 40" bust with about 1-2 inches of ease.   I will work up the instructions for a couple of sizes smaller and a couple of sizes larger as well, to offer a full range of sizes in order to interest as many as possible in knitting it.  This is intended to be a comfortable sweater in a classic style. 

If you're interested, just keep checking in here to get the next set of instructions. 

Let's get started:

Stitch gauge: 7 st./inch in K1, P2 ribbing, using US size 5 needles
Row gauge: 8 st./inch in K1, P2 ribbing, using US size 5 needles
Needle size: US size 4 and US size 5
Yarn: I am using Berroco Comfort DK in black.  Yarn content is 50/50 Super Fine Nylon and Super Fine Acrylic.  It is very soft and makes for a nice drape, but you are free to substitute your own yarn at the same gauge.  I'm using this yarn also to make my mom's life easier when it comes to washing and drying the sweater, but I will be recommending to her that she machine wash on gentle or delicate cycle in cold water and lay flat to dry instead of using the dryer.

Instructions are for bust sizes 36", 38", 40", 42", 44".  If you would like instructions for a size other than these, please contact me and I will provide them.  Just give me a bit of time to get back to you, as I don't do this for a living, so I have other priorities from time to time...wink.

Instructions are for bust size 36, with other sizes in parentheses, just like professional patterns!!!  By slipping the last stitch of each row with yarn in front, you will create a very neat finished chain selvedge edge.  This will make seaming easier, as well as look nice on the edges of the front button bands.



 Back:

With smaller (size 4) needles, cast on 130 (139, 145, 151, 157) stitches.

Row 1 (WS): K3, P1, *K2, P1.  Repeat from * to last three stitches.  K2, slip last stitch with yarn in front. 
Row 2: K1, *P2, K1.  Repeat from * to last three stitches.  P2, slip last stitch with yarn in front (wfy).
Rows 3-6: repeat first two rows.
Row 7: change to larger (size 5) needles.  Continue in pattern as set until piece measures desired length to armhole, or about 13 1/2" (13 1/2", 14", 14 1/2", 15"). 

Shape Armholes:

Bind off 9 (12,12,15,15) stitches at beginning of next 2 rows.  There will remain 112 (115, 121, 121, 127) stitches.  Continue even until armhole measures 9" (9 1/2", 10", 10 1/2", 11"), ending with a wrong side row.

Shoulder Shaping:

Bind off all stitches. 

Keep checking back for the next set of instructions, or contact me to let me know you are ready for the next installment...Feel free to invite any knitter friends you may have to join in.

Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I hope to see you here again soon. I'll visit you, too...