Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A Knitting Update and Call to Prayer

 The mom sweater is coming along nicely.  I have now finished the back, both fronts (except for some button band stitches that are on hold for later) and one sleeve.  The second sleeve is about one third of the way finished.  Dare I hope this project will turn out as planned?  Here she is laid out in her current state:



I know she doesn't look like much now, but soon she will be all "put together", so to speak.  I'm pleased with her so far.  She has been co-operating -- no more purl stitches where there should be knits and such.  The yarn knits up soft and drapey, and it looks like the sweater my mom asked for.  My only worry is that she may be a smidge too small.  I plan to block the hell out of her and hope for the best. 

I'm trying a different finishing technique this time.  I usually use mattress stitch for the sleeves and body, and three-needle bind-off for the shoulders.  This time I plan on slip stitching the seams with a crochet hook.  I think the yarn is thin enough that it won't add too much bulk.  However, if the seams appear bulky when I'm done, my plan is to steam iron them flat.  Hah.

Okay, now for the call to prayer.  If you are a person of faith, please join Christians around the world this Saturday, September 7th for a day of prayer and fasting for Syria, the Middle East, and all over the world.  Pope Francis has issued an invitation to all Catholics and other Christians as well as people of all faiths and people of goodwill to unite our prayers and fasting together on this day.  I plan to offer my prayers and fasting for our persecuted brothers and sisters in Christ in Egypt and Nigeria specifically as well as Syria.  The suffering in those regions is terrible.  I am grateful to God that I live in a place where I am free to practice my faith without suffering physical persecution, and I grieve for those who do not....May God's grace sustain them.


1 comment:

  1. Aww the sweater is going to be great. Bless you for your prayers for peace..we certainly join in them.

    As for the vacuum we have the kind that you dump the dirt from ....Its an upright electrolux. It is perfect for hair, dust and wood floors. Not great on carpeting , we have so little carpet now it is not an issue! Happy cleaning!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I hope to see you here again soon. I'll visit you, too...