Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Right Up My Street...

My little golden Nugget playing with the hose, just because

...as the Brits would say.  We Americans would say "right up my alley..." but I've been watching a lot of Brit TV for the past several years, and I've picked up on some of these expressions.  For instance, I now say "no joy" where I used to say "no luck."  Little things like that.  Anyhoo, I'm loving this week's Ten on Tuesday from Carole at "Carole Knits".  Here we go:

the 10 Books On Your To-Read List:

So. Many. This is just a tiny (wee) scratch at the surface:

1.  Trail of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz.  Love this series of books so much.  They are so funny.  I've been putting off reading this one, because it's the last in the series and I can't bear to say goodbye to the characters.  Great dialogue.

2.  Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evonovich.  Another comedy mystery series with very likeable characters and great dialogue.  I'm a sucker for this kind of book.  Her books always make me laugh out loud at least once.

3.  Tote Bags and Toe Tags by Dorothy Howell.  Another funny mystery with a very screwed up heroine who's heart is in the right place.  Anyone seeing a pattern here?

4.  The Lamb's Supper: the Mass as Heaven on Earth by Scott Hahn.  And now for something completely different.  Yes, I do sometimes take a break from consuming mindless but amusing fiction to dig into some much better fare.  What can be better than this guy's books?

5.  Prayer for Beginners by Peter Kreeft.  This man has so many good things to say about the faith and a gift for putting them into words in a way I can totally relate to, despite the fact that he is a million times more brilliant than me...  I bought each of my kids this book for their confirmation as a primer, hoping it will lead them to search out all his books.  Amazing insights. 

6.  Team of Rivals: the Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin.  Bought this for my father's birthday some years ago, knowing of his passionate interest in the American Civil War.  He didn't think he would find much of interest that he didn't already know about Lincoln's life, so he was not that thrilled to receive it.  Thought I had wasted my money.  Boy, was he wrong!  He started reading it and apologized to me.  Said it was the most fascinating book he had ever read and one of the best written.  Since then, both my brothers and sister have read it.  I now have it, but don't know where I've put it.  My sister gave it back to me to read after she was through with it, but it was very bad timing, as I had just started my chemo treatments and had no desire to read anything.  Added to that was the fact that Abraham Lincoln is my most admired hero and I am always grief-stricken when I read accounts of his assassination.  I just can't bring myself to read about it, especially when my sister tells me she had to stop reading for a while when she got to that part, because it was just so very sad.  I have no doubt that this will be one of the best  books I ever read when I finally crack it open.  Doris Kearns Goodwin is a remarkably fine writer.

7.  Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay.  Being a big fan of the Showtime series, just can't help myself.  I need to find out if the novels are as good as the series, despite my huge disappointment with the final episode of the series, which I watched this afternoon and am still smarting over.

8.  Latin for Dummies by Clifford A. Hull.  I'm a language buff.  Romance languages, primarily, so have a keen interest in the root language that spawned them all.  Plus, I love that Latin is a "dead language" and thus does not change as modern language does.  The pureness of the aesthetic appeals to me.  And, being Roman Catholic, well...

9. Mother Teresa: In My Own Words by Mother Teresa.  A modern day saint persevering in her faith despite a 50 year "dark night of the soul."  I have always been extremely drawn to Mother Teresa. 
A woman truly deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize she was awarded, unlike a few others I can think of (Obama, anyone?)

10. The Shape of Water (Inspector Montalbano, Book 1) by Andrea Camilleri.  Love, love, love this Mhz International Mysteries series starring Luca Zingaretti and airing on PBS.  The Sicily depicted is fascinating and beautiful and I want to experience the novels as well, which I hear are really fine.

1 comment:

  1. an MD that I work with, volunteered with Mother Theresa in the 90s. She has a handwritten thankyou note from her. What a fascinating read that will be.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I hope to see you here again soon. I'll visit you, too...